Being a Maid of Honor can entail a number of duties, including the delivery of a dreaded Toast. As oppose to worrying about it, regard it as an opportunity to show how much the bride means to you.
We provide a number of important tips to producing a quality Toast, here are the essential points in summary format:
- Keep it light hearted but don’t feel the need to make jokes constantly and become unfunny. You can be sure the Best Man will make plenty of bad jokes, don’t follow this trend.
- Remember the reason for giving the delivery, focus on the bride and how delighted you are for her. It is also advisable to stay clear of subjects such as ex-boyfriends or one night stands. Don’t ruin the marriage before it has even begun.
- If you have never given a Toast before, keep it simple. Keep a few notes nearby just on the off chance you freeze and stand up straight.
- There is no time limit on giving a Toast so try not to prattle on for hours. A couple of minutes is perfect and even less for those uncomfortable speaking in public. Just make sure to cover the important points.
- Although challenging at a wedding, especially when confronted with nerves, don’t get drunk before your speech. It is likely to be a bad combination and consider deep breaths to pace yourself.
- Speak from the heart and you can’t go wrong!
When you introduce humor consider a general jibe at the male population. It tends to be well received at weddings:
“The best way to get a man to do something is to suggest they are too old for it.”
When time arrives for your Toast, remain calm, interact with the guest and speak at a slow tempo. Our articles provide a detailed insight to the makings of a fabulous Toast, what are you waiting for?